Monday, January 19, 2015

How I Plan To Graduate College In 2 1/2 Years!

WHAT THE HECK IS THIS CRAZY LADY TALKING ABOUT?! YOU CAN'T GRADUATE COLLEGE IN TWO AND A HALF YEARS!! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!

Actually, like Dr. Seuss said, anything's possible! Even graduating college so early. See, I'm an optimist (my boyfriend is the pessimist and insists that something will go wrong and I'll end up taking five years). Even though I still have to meet with my advisors and talk everything over logistically, according to my program evaluation sheet, program guide sheet, and other Major Information list, I should be done within 2 1/2 years, three full years tops.

Here's how:

In my freshman year of high school, I didn't want to challenge myself or overwhelm myself by taking any honors classes -- I was never the brightest bulb and had never been in any advanced learning classes. I was essentially taught that I was overtly average. But as my first semester progressed, both my English and Biology teachers insisted that I switched over to honors. Even though I didn't, I did make the switch to honors English during my sophomore year.

Still confused on how this relates? Keep reading!

Because I switched into honors English, I ended up taking AP English Language during my junior year -- meaning that I took the AP Exam for the class. I ended up getting a 3 on the exam (to which I received many "Aw, I'm so sorry!" comments because I went to a school where everyone else's top school of choice required a 4. My top school, however, only required a 3 in order to receive credit, so I was perfectly content with my 3!) This got me out of having to take Comp 1 (or ENGL 101 at SDSU). Also during my junior year (which wasn't exactly necessary), I received College Now credit (dual credit) for my Honors Spanish 4 class, which gave me credit for Intermediate Spanish (SPAN 201).

During my senior year of high school, over winter break, I took the online placement test for my university and placed into SPAN 310 Practical Speaking Skills. My school does this thing where if you place into a higher level in foreign language class, once you pass that class with a 'C' or higher, you can buy back the classes below it (101, 102, 201, 202, 211, and 212 for me) for $7.50 per credit!! And, lucky me, I passed -- with an A! But back to high school!

Also during my senior year, during my final semester of high school, I got College Now credit (dual credit) for my AP English Literature class, or Comp 2 (ENGL 201). Two weeks after graduation, I started my first two college courses at the community college down the street from my house. I took Speech (SPD 120 which transferred to SDSU as SPCM 101) and College Algebra (MATH 172 which transferred to SDSU as MATH 102).

All together, I transferred into SDSU with a total of about 27 credits. My first semester last fall, I took 15 credit hours. I took Geography Physical Landscapes and Lab (GEOG 132-132L, Science, [4 credits]), Spanish Practical Speaking Skills (SPAN 310, Major Course, [3 credits]), Music Literature and History (MUS 130, Humanities, [2 credits]), First Year Seminar (UC 109, Seminar Credit, [2 credits]), Human Development: Adolescence (HDFS 337, Upper Division, [3 credits]), and Women's Choir (MUEN 103, Humanities, [1 credit]).

This semester, I'm taking 17 credit hours. I am taking History of the American Indian (AIS/HIST 368, Humanities/Teacher Education Course, [3 credits]), Courtship and Marriage (SOC 250, Social Sciences, [3 credits]), Latin American Culture and Civilization (SPAN 435, Advanced Writing/Major Course/Upper Division, [3 credits]), Women's Choir (MUEN 103, Humanities, [1 credit]), Dance Fundamentals (DANC 130, Humanities, [1 credit]), General Psychology (PSYC 101, Social Sciences, [3 credits]), and Spanish for Health Professions (SPAN 308, Major Course/Advanced Electives).

This summer, I plan to take two classes, Biology Survey and Lab (BIOL 101-101L, Science, [3 credits]) and Spanish Reading/Writing Communication (SPAN 330, Major Course, [3 credits]).

By this point, if all the math adds up, I'll have about 65 credits. That means I'll be about at Junior level by my first semester of my Sophomore year of college.

I've done the research for the following classes, for which classes fall during which semesters and which classes need to be taken before which other classes.


The classes I plan to take for the Fall of 2015 are:

Educational Psychology (EPSY 302, Teacher Education, [3 credits]
Foundations of American Education (EDFN 338, Teacher Education, [2 credits])
Computer-Based Teaching and Learning (EDFN 365, Teacher Education, [2])
Human Relations (EDFN 475, Teacher Education, [3])
Spanish Culture and Civilization (SPAN 433, Major Course/Literature Elective, [3])
Introduction to Latin American Literature (SPAN 355, Literature Elective, [3])
Women's Choir (MUEN 103, Humanities, [1])

For a total of: 17 credits

The following Spring should include:

Phonetics (SPAN 340, Linguistics, [3])
Introduction to Spanish Literature (SPAN 353, Literature Elective, [3])
Middle School Philosophy and Application (EDFN 427, Teacher Education, [2])
Supervised Clinical/Field Experience (SEED 314, Teacher Education, [1])
5-12 Teaching Methods and Lab (SEED 420-420L, Teacher Education, [2]
Reading and Content Literacy (SEED 450, Teacher Education, [2])
Special Methods (MFL 420, Teacher Education, [3])
Study Abroad Prep (MFL 399, Study Abroad, [1])

For a total of: 17 credits

Over the summer then before my last semester, I plan to be studying abroad in either Spain or another Spanish-Speaking country. While there, I will be taking 6 credits to fulfill my last bit of Advanced Spanish Requirement/Field Experience.

And finally, during my last semester during the Fall of 2016, I plan to take:

Educating Secondary Students with Disabilities (SPED 405, Teacher Education, [2])
Social Foundations, Management, and Law (SEED 410, Teacher Education, [2])
Educational Assessment (EDER 415, Teacher Education, [2])
K-8 Student Teaching/7-12 Student Teaching (ELED 488/SEED 488, Teacher Education, [8])

For a total of: 14 credits

The reason the last class is split is because I'm a Modern Language major, so we have to be able to teach all ages. So I will be spending half of my time in elementary school and the other half in middle/high school.



Originally, I planned to take the first three classes of my last semester at one time and do my student teaching by itself, but as it turns out, I'm supposed to take all three of those classes while I'm student teaching.

Now, I think it's pretty obvious that I could take more time with my classes, that I could probably try to stretch them out and not rush college, but the thing is, I'm a very boring person. I don't party at all -- I hate partying, I don't drink, and stupid/drunk people bother me. And, quite honestly, I want to have the spring after I'd graduate to get ready for my wedding (my boyfriend and I plan to get  engaged next summer (of 2016) and married during the summer after I graduate). I have a lot of planning that I won't have done yet because I want to be able to focus on my school work. So, if I can get done in 2.5 years, I'm going to do it!

I know being an optimist isn't always the best idea, but I think that hope is a great thing to have. I am open to having to take longer than 2.5 years, and I'm definitely even willing to take the full 4 years if I absolutely have to. But come one -- who doesn't want to say they were smart enough and motivated enough to finish college in 2.5 years??

No comments:

Post a Comment