Hello one and all for whoever, for whatever reason, read my blog! I just finished my first year of college at South Dakota State University one week ago yesterday, and I feel pretty good! Honestly, though, it wasn't my best semester. All my other freshmen friends are talking about "finishing the semester strong" -- and let's never forget to mention the high school best friend keeps bragging about finishing with a 3.97 (but we're not gonna mention that literally the only classes she's taken A.L.L. Y.E.A.R. were music classes. That's totally not relevant at all). I, on the other hand, did not finish the year with a 3.97; my semester GPA was a miserable 3.1 and, for me, that is an absolute disgrace! But, then again all things considered, it could've been a lot worse! Plus, I technically didn't fail any classes (meaning no retaking anything, meaning I'm still on the same track for finishing at the end of my third year!!!).
Here are my year opinions (since I didn't do this last semester, I'll be having to do this for both semesters, but in the future, I will divvy them up by semester):
Semester 1:
Freshman Seminar (UC 109)--
This class was required. So, I'm really glad I got it done and over with. Not that I had a choice, but still. Would I ever take it again? That's a fat no. It was quite honestly the biggest waste of time and money. However, it's an easy GPA booster, so am I glad I took it regardless? I'd have to say yeah.
Spanish Speaking Skills (SPAN 310):
This class, based on the class itself, was decent. The material was good review and it was good getting to get over the material before moving on to harder classes. However, the best part of the whole class was the professor. Luiza Adamyan was quite possibly the best professor I had the whole semester. She makes the class very friendly and inviting and non-intimidating. I would 100% recommend signing up for her classes and, because I loved her teaching so much, I made sure to take from her again each semester this coming year! WOO!
Physical Landscapes (GEOG 132-132L):
Okay, let's get one thing straight: I don't handle "required" classes well whatsoever. They give you pretty good freedom everywhere else in your life in college, except with like, three classes they don't have high enough enrollment in. This, my friends, was one of those classes. Though honestly, if you got yourself beyond the bitterness to study a little (which was an honest struggle for me), it really wasn't that bad. Well... If you know how to study and/or had a similar class in high school. Apparently, I was one of the kids with the highest grade (I had a B- and the prof was trying to convince me to minor/major in the stupid field! Not my cup of tea). So, that being said, glad it's over, wouldn't recommend, wouldn't take again (but please note that I'm in no way, shape, or form a geography person or geology [which was really more what the course was about] or any kind of earth, rock, history, science person, so this class was all kinds of wrong for me. I would've done better in Chemistry than this class. Just sayin'.)
Music Literature and History I (MUS 130):
This class was nothing like I imagined. It really did bore the crap out of me (again, history... not my thing.), but that being said, I secretly enjoyed the weirdo music she had us listen to. So, not really much more to say about this one. Would I take it again? Meh. I wouldn't hate it.
Human Development - Adolescence (HDFS 337):
This class, for having little to do with my major (and having close to zero potential for jobs), was quite possibly one of my favorite classes I've ever taken! I am trying as hard as I can to squeeze in a few more classes like this because I had so much interest in it (just the right amount of psychology info mixed with straight-up facts and videos). 100% would take again, especially from the professor, Amber Letcher.
Women's Choir (MUEN 103/303):
So, okay. I was in three choirs in high school and was a choir N E R D, and I'm pretty proud of that! I also had three different choir directors in four years of high school. So coming to SDSU and changing directors wasn't so much of a big deal. The problem was I went from having these wonderful, flamboyant teachers that were serious about tone and expression and all the other important details of singing to having a very professional, very great, but also very polite choir director (if you know what I mean). I took it again in the Spring and am going to again this Fall (I would the following Spring as well if I could, but my schedule conflicts, so I'll most likely return the following Fall). So, yes, it is a great experience and release from the day, but if you're looking to continue what you had in high school choir, if it was different from a very down-to-business attitude, this may not be the best class for you.
http://www.sdstate.edu/resources/directory/directory-detail.cfm?view=detail&ci=4329
Semester 2:
Latin American Language and Culture (SPAN 432):
The professor, Jose "Pepe" Alvarez, was absolutely amazing. He is very approachable and more than happy to help if you need it. He gives great feedback and makes every effort to help you understand if you come to him with the need (he looks intimidating, but believe me -- he's a lovable guy [not to mention he's really really short!]). The class itself was very interesting to me personally -- until the late middle/end of the semester when we started talking politics. Again. Not my thing (yes, I have a lot of subjects that "aren't my thing" -- I get it).
Spanish for Health Professions (SPAN 308):
What I thought this class was going to be was essentially a how-to-be-a-medical-interpreter. This is not the case; however, it is a great start! I learned so much about the medical field (I was absolutely clueless) and also a bunch of new Spanish vocab that I totally should've learned in middle school (like body parts and whatnot), but also about hereditary diseases, mental illnesses, other diseases/disorders/ailments, medications (classifications, etc) and it was just very eye-opening. Also, we had a small class of about 12 girls plus the female prof, Macarena "Maca" Escondrillas. Great prof! I'm already taking another class with her this summer, Spanish 330 (Reading/Writing Skills), so yes I would definitely recommend taking classes from her!
Dance Fundamentals (DANC 130):
This class was the best decision I've ever made. Really made me happy and I ended up making quite a few friends (which was a big change from last semester)! So, really I have nothing more to add. Melissa Hauschild-Mork (aka Mel) was amazing and was like a mom to all of us! So glad I got the opportunity to take this class!
Native American History (HIST/AIS 368):
This class was surprisingly worse than Geography. How, I don't know. All I have to say about it is that I passed and it was required for education.
Courtship and Marriage (SOC 250):
This class gave me a little trouble because, well, I really didn't care enough to read the textbook. The quizzes were all un-timed and open-note, but some questions were confusing and poorly worded. The final was more application questions of the previously asked quiz questions, but those ones ended up being trickier than I expected. The prof was really good though. He also teaches criminology and, if I had more time in my schedule, I would totally try to take that class.
Intro to Psychology (PSYC 101):
This class I took online and it was a horrid experience. I got a B in the class, so not a horrible grade, but it was definitely a struggle and I wasn't sure I was going to pull it off. We had a lot of consistency problems from the online textbook to the homework questions to the quizzes. I would say if you have to take this class, definitely take it in-class because there's much less work and it's much easier!
Choir: see above.
All in all, the year I would say was a pretty good one! I'm very excited to get to going with my next year; all I need now is a ski mask and some more long johns, and I'll be ready to go!
No comments:
Post a Comment