Friday, November 7, 2014

Another One On Roommates

Oh, boy, has this semester been... well, ridiculous. I've come to realize so much in so little time (most of which I will address in another post). The issue I'd like to address is a post-move-in realization on roommates:

They all stink (not really, just most of them).

Let me start with the fact that my beloved roommate just loves telling the truth about how she never parties, or drinks, or smokes, and let's not even get started on how much she just ADORES obeying the DRY-CAMPUS rules (especially the ones where it specifically says, "Don't bring alcohol bottles of any kind into your room or else both roommates will be written up.") My roommate is so considerate, she'd just never want anything bad to happen like getting both of us written up before the end of our first semester!!

(PLEASE NOTE THE HEAVY SARCASM OF THE PREVIOUS PARAGRAPH!!!)

It couldn't even be some frilly alcohol. Oh, no. Had to choose Vodka - any kind. Name any kind, I bet you it's hiding somewhere in our room amongst her things.

So, here's my NEW advice to any incoming freshmen ANYWHERE -- if you have any preconceived notions about your new roommate, they're probably right. If your roommate looks a little sketchy on their FB, they're probably a sketchy person. (Although this does not always go for everybody, it's always good to be safe and go with your gut!) So, what do I say about this?

1. GO WITH YOUR GUT!!!

And, more importantly, be honest with yourself. If you sincerely have a problem with your potential future roommate partying every weekend, DO NOT decide to room with someone who responds "Only sometimes" to the question, "Did you ever party in HS?" 99% of the time, this means "All the time, but I don't want you to think poorly of me." And what does that translate to? They know that what they're doing is potentially a bad trait to have, but they're not about to change their habits!

2. Be honest with other people!

If you are talking to potential roommates whether through your school's FB page or whatever other means of communication, don't use generic "I want to become best friends or even SISTERS with my roommate!" in a "10 things about me!" list. First, that's not telling people much other than you have unrealistic expectations of College (such as only having school 3 days a week -- AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS! IT WILL SCREW YOU OVER!!!) If you're going to add a list of information about yourself, DIG DEEP!!! Use more information like "I don't party and need someone who doesn't want/need to either" or "I dislike social interaction but want friends" or even "I'm a vampire and hate light when trying to sleep." (I wouldn't suggest being weird, though. People generally don't like odd people.)

3. Do not expect to become best friends with your roommate.

This is a very rare thing to happen. I'm talking extremely rare. There's more likelihood that someone would hit you and actually have to pay your tuition than you becoming best friends with your roommate (that whole "if you get hit by a car, the person driving has to pay off your tuition" thing is a myth, btw.) For example, my roommate and I thought we were a match made in heaven -- had all the same sleeping needs, we liked the same foods, we liked the same TV shows... now we can't stand each other's guts and neither of us can wait for her to move out next week. It's nothing truly personal, we just have more major differences than we do similarities (most of those similarities being along the lines of what kind of cheese we like with our tortilla chips).

4. Do not share your personal items if it will bother you when your roommate starts using them without permission.

I originally thought, oh, my mom and I always shared a blow dryer and straightener at home, it'd be no different with her. IT IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!!!!!! As if the alcohol weren't enough to make me be upset with my roommate, it kind of pushed me over the edge when I found my straightener in her desk drawer. And it shouldn't have bothered me. But, if you're like me and are extremely possessive, you'll understand where I'm coming from when I say I was feeling the whole "Don't touch my stuff without asking or I'll scream" feeling.

In conclusion, Roommates. Don't get your hopes up too high. And thank the Good Lord if you end up with a half-way normal roommate. Good luck, my friends!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment