If anybody has seen hard times in a relationship, it is those people who are in a long distance relationship. I, for sure, would know. After being in a relationship with my boyfriend for a year, I give little pity to those who are separated for a few hours between text messages. That being said, my boyfriend and I are faithful to each other. People often ask me how I am so sure that he is. And while that is a valid question, it is society's fault for the question's existence in the first place.
My very amazing and loving boyfriend and I talk every. single. day. without fail. On Skype, on the phone, via text. All of the above. We're not always in constant communication like many others; however, we are fairly inseparable considering the distance.
The only major problem we've had thus far is... Well... My mother. She was unaware of his existence until about six months after we started dating. It was my choice, honestly. She's never been a rather accepting person to say the least.
She often threatens that she won't pay for me to go to college whenever she and I fight and then blames my actions upon my meeting my boyfriend.
So what is my point in telling the world all of this information?
I do not suggest getting into a long distance relationship. They cause a lot of heartache, loneliness, and confusion. They cause a lot of tension, and they cause horrendous stress among everyone involved.
That being said, my boyfriend and I do plan on getting married in the next few years. He is my absolute best friend and favorite person in the world. We have our ups and downs, but one of the many qualities that I love about him is that he can always make me feel better when I'm upset, even with him. He never just walks away from me when I'm having a problem. Even if he can't solve it for me, he still manages to cheer me up, every time.
So, some of you may be thinking, "So why don't you recommend it? You're being a hypocrite!" Well, it depends on the person. Being in a long distance relationship has shown me that I am much stronger than I ever would have thought I was. It showed me what hard work, commitment, and loyalty means. It showed me that long distance is not for everybody and most definitely shouldn't last longer than absolutely necessary. I did everything in my power to try to cut the 'long distance' out of our relationship so that we could just be in a normal relationship together in the same area faster. God said no. You can only imagine how hurt I was at that one. Being separated from the love of my life showed me that prayer is absolutely essential to success. It showed me that no matter what, everything will happen in time - but not my own time. God's time was the only way I'd get to be with my boyfriend faster. Which honestly isn't very fast most of the time. But God's time never stops. It always keeps moving. That's why it's already February.
So if you're finding yourself falling for somebody hundreds of miles away, believe me. You're not going to find your answer of whether it's right or wrong anywhere on the internet, in any of your friends, or even in your parents (as long as he's not serial killer material. In that case you may want to listen to your friends and family and let that bus pass on by). The only person that can tell you if this is right or wrong is God. He is all-knowing, and He will bring you through everything. He won't give you anything you can't handle. Though you absolutely will be tested. Don't ever think that God knowing that you'll make it through hard times means it'll be easy. Because it won't ever be easy. It'll only be worth it and eventually one day everything will make sense.
No comments:
Post a Comment